We are going to go back in time! The Leon Tavern built in 1834 by Thomas Noyes. Other owners between then and into the 1900's were: Samuel B Hanford, John Lang, Ellery Stone, S.C. Horton, John Carpenter, Nathaniel Kierstead, Thomas Snyder, P.A. Snyder, (1869) A.Thomas, O.C. Chase, A.L. Roberts, Russel Barlow, Zelotes Blanchard, B B. Mosher, W.F. Ross. owners from the 1940's to the present 2008: 1947 Myron Day, 1954 Paul Louise Hoff, 1958 Garrett & Jane Kolstee, 1962 Ed. & Elva Cashmeir, 1968 Fred & Kay Gross, 1971 Earl & Dorothy Lincoln, 1972 Rod & Evie Griewisch, 1982 to present Kathy, Christopher & John Krzanowicz.
The picture below is in 1953. The owner at the time was Myron (Mike) Day, a WWII veteran which he bought 8 years from Donald Kidd from Jamestown.
The estimated loss included many antique pieces. In the garage adjacent to the hotel, where it is believed that the fire originated was a 1907 Ford and 1952 Buick stored in the garage.
This is the first in a series about the town of Leon, N.Y. established in 1832. A few people started arriving in about 1818. James Waterhouse named the town for the Ancient Kingdom of Leon in Spain. It in Township 4 in the ninth range of the Holland Land Company.
In the fourth coming articles, we will introduce some of the families and business that made Leon a thieving community.
The first family we will hear about is the Day family.
Anthony Day-B. 1762 in Ticonderoga, N.Y. He married Hannah Vine-B. 1762 in Whitehall, N.Y. married in Ticonderoga, N.Y. They eventually made their way to Leon. But not before they arrived in New Hampshire, where Alvin was born in 1793, their 3rd. Child. Anthony & Hannah had 11 children.
Alvin married a women named Mary-B-1801 in N.Y. Their son Almon Leroy Day B. 1822 in Ticonderoga N.Y. D. 1909
In the 1850 Leon census Alvin & Mary are listed there living alone –ages 56 for Avin + 49 for Mary. So far haven’t been able to find much information on them.
Almon married Emily Kellogg, 5 Nov. 1848- in Leon, perhaps at our little white church on the Hill!
Emily was born in Brookfield N.Y. B-9 March 1826 D. 1889 –Age 87
Emily Parents are:
Ashbel Loomis Kellogg Jr. B. 1791, D. 1862
Nancy Saunders Kellogg B. 1793, D. 1862
Most likely Kellogg Hill in Leon was named for them.
Amon & Emily had four boys
Theron- B. 1851 D. 1924 in Leon
Willian Henry- B. 1855 D. 1931 in Leon
John Charles- B. 1859 D.? in Leon
Myron Leroy B.1871 D.1952 in Leon
As far as I can tell they were all born and died and are buried in Leon N.Y.
William H Day married: 1 Oct. 1855 Leon N.Y. Clara D. Bachelder B. 1858 D.
Son of William & Clara
John L Day B. 1889-D. 1961 in Leon
John Married Maude Wolfe 7 Nov. 1901. B. 1892-Red House, N.Y. D. 1977-Leon
John & Maude’s Children:
Ivan Earl Day B. -1911 D. 1989 in Leon
Myron (Mike) Day: B.-7 April 1919 D.- 1 Sept. 1977 in Pima, AZ.
Florance Eldrege B: -9 June 1934- Cattaraugus N.Y. D: 1982
They had 3 girls
Althea B 1937
Myron (Mike) Married:
Harriet J. Meyers B.- 1 Oct. 1919 D.- 2017
They had 2 children
There are many colorful characters in the Day family. One was Anthony Day. He was born in England 1616 of an ancient English family in Ippswitch , about 68 miles north of London. We believe he is the first Day to come to the British Bay Colonies, there were however 9 Distinct Day families in New England in colonial days. Here is an excerpt about one of them-Anthony Day from Wales. At age 19 Anthony was a passenger on the ship “Paule” with Leonard Betts as it's Master. They sailed 16 July 1635 bound for Virginia. The first port of call was Mass. not Virginia. Mr. Betts had been instructed to lay in a cargo of salted fish to be sold in Virginia or the West Indies. But things didn’t go as planned-they sailed to Virginia not Mass. as they should have.
Anthony was tiring of the long journey, as it took about 6 wks. to reach the colonies. He decided to make Mass. home. He had obtained a certificate of conformity to the church of England, issued by the Minister of Gravesend. It is unknown where he spent the first ten years in America. In 1642 families from Plymouth colonies led by Rev. Richard Blymann, settled in Glouster Mass. Anthony was an early settler there as well as a landowner. He was a proprietor of a store before 1645 and sold it at age 80. He purchased land and another store 1657.
It is said in the history of Glouster that he vindicated the good name of Susanna Matchett, in court in Salem 1649. She was the bond servant of William Vinson, who had made disparaging remarks about Susanne, who Anthony had entered into a marriage contract with. He took Mr. Vinson to court, in which Pastor Blymann interceded and confronted Anthony. He took the warrant, tore it up and tossed it in the fire! So again, a new warrant was issued. The court wouldn't have it! Anthony took Pastor Blymann to court as well. Another warrant was issued to Vinson. Later that year, in 1649, they went back to court. The court records read. “Wm Vinson of Glouster, being accessed by Anthony Day of reproaching his servant Susanna Matchett, to whom he was contracted, saying she was not virtuous. Vinson confessed and the case was discharged.” Anthony and Susanna were married after 11 Sept. 1649. They were the parent’s of nine children. Anthony was an industrious man. He worked in the mills and transported lumber, bought and sold land, owned stores and homes to care for his large family. This wasn’t his last trip to the courts in his lifetime. No doubt some of which were to help others in doing the right thing! Anthony is credited to be one of the first settlers of Glouster, Province, now Maine, Phippsburg, Leeds and likely others. He later went into partnership with his sons on business deals.
In later years he would deed his last property to his youngest son Joseph, in return for caring for him and his wife in their aged years. This deed was signed in 1705. Anthony passed in 1707 and Susanna in 1717. He was 91 and she was 94.
These people were found in the Family Seach Genealogy site, and information also from Day Family and friends.
“I hope you enjoyed this article. Stay tuned for the next article in the series!”
member of the
Leon Historical Society, “May 2022”
Click here to edit text