Barn Quilt Project
I picked the pattern for our Barn Quilt project on the Museum because on the 150Th Anniversary of Leon, NY the David Edward Clark family donated a Log Cabin design for the Museum. It is on display at the
He also was a Musician and a like-long resident of
The property is now owned by Everett Mosher Jr.
Anna Hunt was born in 1851 died in 1932. We are not sure when she was married Edward W. Clark. After Edward W. Clark died, she married Charles Franklin. He too was a long time resident of
This is in connection with the Amish Trail created two years ago from Randolph, Leon, South Dayton and Gowanda. Created by Pat Bromley, Historian.
The year 1841 was one which wore the unforgettable crime in
Bowhall went to the log home, found the young wife alone, murdered her,and deposited her body under the bed.
Finally, after several days had elapsed, it became know a search was made for Mr. Brown. His body was found in the sugar bush, covered with brush. However, Bowhall always accompanied the searcher. He trembled so much that soon the others became suspicious. He was taken to Ellicottville County Courthouse where he Confessed and gave the details of the crime committed. Nevertheless, his conscience over-powered him, and he hung himself through the assistance of the bedpost. He had been punished enough and he figured this was the easiest and fastest way to end the ordeal.
AN UNSOLVED MYSTERY
Published March 2010
Fifty-five or Sixty years ago, the people of
Of course the town was alerted and a man, who was employed by the Hoefler Plant, volunteered his services and was determined to learn the reason for sure unusual procedures. He found that the cobwebs had been brushed to the beam under the pulpit. At this location, the mysterious party had removed an object 12” to 18” in length and had fled with it.
The solution to the mystery was that something of real value had been secretly stored there when the wall was being built under the church. He may have been previously in prison or out of the country for many years. At any rate, he made a perfect “get –away.”
Lemel Ackler remembered having heard a noise in the night but it was ceased and he went back to sleep. The incident described is remembered by the writer, Gladys Morgan Luce and others still living. And, it will always remain to be a mystery!
Written by Historian, Gladys Morgan Luce, November, 1962
The Leon Historical Society was founded
The Church which is part of the Historical museum was built in 1836. It is on the National Registry.
The Museum is open May through October on Saturday from to where Amish goods are sold.
175 years ago, in 1836, the people who had settled in “Leon Center” had out grown the primitive log cabin style building they were using as a meeting hall and church. They had a plan to build a church, large enough to hold their congregation as well as those people who were coming to Western New York.
They cut the huge trees from the surrounding hills and hewed out the beams that were the frame work of the future. The stone foundation was laid and the community came together to ‘raise’ the church. The sanctuary was finished and the church was opened.
The church was the first church in Western New York to be heated. It had two chimneys in the front and two stoves. The preacher’s pulpit was between the stoves. He must have been nice and warm!
The original plan for the church had a sanctuary and a bell tower. It was 22 years later that the bell tower and the entry way were added. By then, the stream running through the town had saw mills capable of sawing big beams and board. The bell tower is mostly sawed lumber. In 1858 the bell was hoisted up to the top of the tower and still rings to this day.
The church was the centerpiece of a small town and a tribute to the people who made it all come true. “Leon”, as it was called in 1858, had built their first church!
The first to permanently locate were James Franklin and his son, James. They came from
The same year came Asa Franklin, and settled on lot 46,a nd there, a few years later, opened the first tavern in town. He moved to
Transcribed by Richard Allen, 2003